[racket] Error with pict3d

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 11:21:38 EDT 2015

On 03/15/2015 03:31 AM, Dr. C. SHUNMUGA VELAYUTHAM  wrote:
> I tried first glxinfo | grep "version" on my ubuntu machine and found that openGL version is 1.4.
>
> I also tried your racket code but it gave the following error
>
> ?: unbound identifier in module in: ?

The \lambda must have gotten mangled in transit. I've got to remember to
spell it out instead of using Ctrl-\ in emailed code.

> So I tried installing the latest version of OpenGL and I found the following after installation
>
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on i915 (chipset: G33)
> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.6.0-devel (git-f68a973 2015-03-14 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
>
> And I found from the link http://www.taiwanpcsources.com/intelgraphics.htm that Chipset G33 supports only 1.4 + Extensions.
>
> So I guess I should upgrade my machine. Thanks Neil for the support.

You're welcome, and don't give up yet!

I just learned that a lot of renderers implement almost all of OpenGL
3.0 via extensions, but can't report that they implement 3.0.

I just made a few temporary changes in Pict3D so that it doesn't check
the OpenGL version and ran DrRacket like this:

   LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=TRUE /usr/racket/bin/drracket &

This forces Mesa to use its software renderer instead of graphics
hardware. Everything seems to work, though it's choppy and uses 4 of my
CPUs.

I'll add a `current-pict3d-check-opengl-version?` parameter that you can
set to `#f` to override the version check. There's a decent chance your
card will work. If not, you can use Mesa's software renderer.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.