[racket] 18 scribble-created files

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Nov 23 22:28:00 EST 2014

Thanks, Matthew.  I have to rework McFly and my package release setup
for the new package system soon, and I plan to work around the 18 files
then.

I don't know that my plan is relevant to anyone else, but here it is:

* Make distributions (and packages?) include the documentation files
however they're generated by the current release version of Racket at
the time the package version is released.

* Host the package version distributions (with versions in URLs) on my
Web site.  Probably URLs like
"http://example.com/racket/<PACKAGENAME>/<VERSIONSTRING>/".

* Change how I make the Web home page for each package.  Currently, each
home page is a verbatim copy the Scribble-produced files for the latest
released version of the package.  How I plan to change this is, instead
of using the Scribble-produced 18 files verbatim, a script will take
only the generated `.html` file and any image files, and tweak the HTML
slightly to fit into the Web site without all the dependencies.  That
works around the 18 files bloat for me, although I have to do upfront
work, and I might have to do maintenance work some of the times that a
new Racket version changes the HTML.

* Change the package home page urls (e.g.,
"http://example.com/racket-charterm/") to fit within the same URL tree
that serves the new package versions (e.g.,
"http://example.com/racket/charterm/").

Basically, I'm trying to get back to good-quality package version
releases being quick&easy to do.  The overhead of additional upfront and
ongoing maintenance work on tools is not entirely consistent with
quick&easy productivity on the packages, but hopefully I'll find time
around Christmas.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.