[racket] Learning Path for Web Applications?

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 09:09:14 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Ben <yfefyf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to learn web application development. I know how to program
> Racket but I know little about web applications.

Hi Ben,

The Racket documentation explains our Web API, but doesn't always
explain why you need these things in the larger context of Web
programs.

> There is a tutorial and an API document about web applications on the
> official site of Racket. But they are not enough for me. I don't even know
> how to handle cookies and realize user registration.

Cookies:
- http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/http.html?q=cookie#%28mod-path._web-server%2Fhttp%2Fcookie%29
- http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/http.html?q=cookie#%28mod-path._web-server%2Fhttp%2Fid-cookie%29
- http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/http.html?q=cookie#%28mod-path._web-server%2Fhttp%2Fcookie-parse%29

User Registration:
- Create a form that gets the username and password
- Look it up in a database---(require db)
- Create a secure cookie to send back and check it

> I can't find any other books or tutorials on this. I then think up two more
> paths for learning:
>
> 1. Learn in Ruby/Python/Node first, because they have more books, tutorials,
> videos, online courses ... And come back to Racket if I'm still interested.
>
> 2. Learn from other people's Racket projects. But I don't know whether
> there exist such kind of open source projects for Racket.

Here are ones just on Github:

https://github.com/search?q=language%3Aracket&type=Repositories&ref=searchresults

I have a few that are Web apps:

https://github.com/jeapostrophe?tab=repositories