[racket] comments requested from users of SXML and PLT xexprs

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Dec 21 08:52:59 EST 2010

Comments requested from anyone who has used SXML or xexprs...

I've almost finished a set of new PLaneT packages for a new variation on
SXML and PLT xexprs, and am second-guessing one of the design decisions.

Originally, my main goal was to unify SXML, PLT xexprs, and SHTML.  Part
of that involved dropping SXML's permissiveness for extraneous
list-nesting, for backward-compatibility with PLT xexprs.

The extraneous list nesting in SXML has two purposes I see: (1)
Resilient to programming sloppiness, so that you can, say, just
"unquote" to a procedure application, and that procedure application can
either return one element or multiple elements and the SXML is still
valid; (2) Possible efficiency gains in some cases, since you can do
things like "`(foo ,(proc) bar)" to effectively splice rather than
"`(foo ,@(proc) bar)".  Since extraneous list nesting is not ambiguous
in SXML, the nesting is somewhat like whitespace in a text document.

Instead, to accomplish the efficient splicing and convenience, I
introduced an explicit "*splice*" form in certain contexts.  So, for
example, a filter procedure called in an element context during writing
of XML, could return an element like "(p)" or multiple elements like
"(*splice* (p) (q) (r))".  Programming error that resulted in returning
something that looked more like "((p) (q))" would result in an error.
Syntactically, adding this to PLT exprs would be easier than adding
extraneous list nesting.

However, now that the Racket Web server is loosening its coupling with
xexprs, backward-compatibility with xexprs is no longer as important, so
I'm second-guessing some of the decisions.  It would be nice to use
extraneous nesting instead of "*splice*", if only so that SXPath and
"sxml-match" can work with the new dialect with few changes.

Note that the special syntax of the template library does not and will
never permit extraneous nesting in the static (Racket syntax) portions
of the template.  Extraneous nesting is a convenience for dynamic parts.

Thoughts?  Feel free to email me privately unless you think it's
sufficiently on-topic for the list.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering why not just use current SXML...  I
have indeed had lots of success over the years with SXML, including on a
large and important system.  However, I have come up with what I think
are some improvements to SXML, such as in symbolic character entity
references, attribute value composition, some declarations, metadata
syntax, a few restrictions, a fortuitous mapping to/from Racket
character objects, possibly addressing the "@" symbol problem if RnRS
won't budge, and some things I've found helpful in the writing and
template libraries.  I intend to eventually propose these as changes to
the canonical SXML spec., once they're refined in practice.  There will
also be some simple conversion functions to/from SXML, PLT xexprs, etc.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/