[racket] Fwd: Snooze & Transactions

From: Russell Adams (RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 19:08:46 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:50:16PM +0000, Dave Gurnell wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> Don't know if this is your problem, but it bit me recently. If SSL
> is on, you're going to get an order of magnitude slowdown. Having
> SSL on seems to be the default for the packages on some
> distributions, so you may want to look at that.
>
> That said, there are undoubtedly optimisations to be made to Snooze,
> particularly when retrieving data from a query. I'll hopefully be
> looking into this in the early weeks of the new year.

I've experienced the same issue now with Postgres and SQLite, and when
using Postgres I have ssl off for my DB connection.

It's simply writing out bulk records is limited to whatever the
synchronous disk speed is. I'm trying to find ways to turn of
auto-vacuuming or logging on these databases because I'm just
populating what is a set of read-only tables and I consider this the
"initial load".

I tried a few variations in my code, as to what portion of the work
was encapsulated into call-with-connection, from individual functions
to the entire short program.

I found call-with-transaction in the source, but it isn't documented
yet. I tried a few ways of combining it with call-with-connection, but
without success. I keep getting an error that it wants me to pass it a
connection name, and I don't think it's being redefined with the
default-snooze-interface macro. I don't know the default connection
name, so I'm rereading the documentation to see if I can handle the
connections myself.

This is where I thought someone might have an example, given its
already in the codebase.

Thanks.