[plt-scheme] Out of memory during 'make install'

From: David Banks (amoebae at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 15:13:21 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to compile PLT 4.2 on a NetBSD machine.  It has very
little RAM, so I added a gigabyte of swap (I don't care how long the
compilation takes).  I'm hitting an out of memory issue during the
'make install' phase, but there's still a lot of swap left.  Is there
any way to increase the soft limit that PLT seems to be using during
the install step?  The error I get is below:

setup-plt: making: scribblings/framework
setup-plt:  in scribblings/framework
PLT Scheme virtual machine has run out of memory; aborting
[1]   Abort trap (core dumped) mzscheme/mzschem...
gmake[1]: *** [install-3m] Error 134
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/amoe/plt-4.2/src/build'
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

My commands to compile are:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared --disable-mred
gmake
gmake install

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,