[plt-edu] Re: [plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: geb a (geb_a at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 14:02:33 EST 2009

If you examine any of the technical disciplines, students in those disciplines would be much more effective with a knowledge of the programming principles laid out in htdp.  In physics, I could have save much time with a knowledge of computing.  Bioinformatics is almost completely a computer discipline. I'm convinced that one or two software courses in an engineering discipline is not sufficient.  If drscheme could be turned into a general purpose environment that could handle large amounts of computation, it would make a perfect integrating language.

My son, who characterized himself as a "non math person" in 7th grade and who was earning low B's and C's now earns perfect scores on his honors math exams.  His success is a combination of tutoring and programming as well as a decision on his part to excel.  But I believe that to a large degree, the skills he learned using htdp made the difference.  I believe that when he goes to study engineering, he will benefit from what he learned.