[plt-edu] Re: [plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 21:59:26 EST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 6:37 PM, geb a wrote:

> Yes, the focus is on htdp with advanced students working on projects
> that use programming in other disciplines.  I really believe that
> computer science should be central to a strong technical
> background.  In fact, a computer science student should be able to
> compute circles around any other student.

Are you saying that graduates of other disciplines should know more of
what CS graduates know?  Or are you saying that CS graduates should be
able to implement better software for the other disciplines than the
disciplines can muster themselves?  In my world, it seems that overall
effectiveness doesn't match up to our considerable individual
abilities because it is nearly impossible to mix & match the resources
of all of the disciplines.  It would be wonderful if the tech
disciplines knew more about CS, but I don't see that ever happening.
I do hope for the day when more effective overlapping of expertise
comes to pass.

rac