[plt-edu] Re: [plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 21:27:59 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:02 PM, geb a wrote:

> If you examine any of the technical disciplines, students in those
> disciplines would be much more effective with a knowledge of the
> programming principles laid out in htdp.  In physics, I could have
> save much time with a knowledge of computing.  Bioinformatics is
> almost completely a computer discipline. I'm convinced that one or
> two software courses in an engineering discipline is not
> sufficient.  If drscheme could be turned into a general purpose
> environment that could handle large amounts of computation, it would
> make a perfect integrating language.

One or two courses is not sufficient, and neither is three or four.  I
don't think that most engineers, for example, can afford the time to
develop the wisdom of computer scientists (or vice versa.)  Computer
science needs to be trusted to glue the other technologies together,
perhaps with 'a perfect integrating language' as you suggest.  I am
trying to make this happen in our lab, but guess what?  I am not a
computer scientist, so I am not making much progress.  Furthermore,
the other disciplines seem satisfied with blaming software development
for their scheduling woes. :)

> My son, who characterized himself as a "non math person" in 7th
> grade and who was earning low B's and C's now earns perfect scores
> on his honors math exams.  His success is a combination of tutoring
> and programming as well as a decision on his part to excel.  But I
> believe that to a large degree, the skills he learned using htdp
> made the difference.  I believe that when he goes to study
> engineering, he will benefit from what he learned.

I wish I could hire people like your son :)

rac