[plt-scheme] The Schematics of Computation?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 9 16:14:10 EDT 2008

Grant Rettke wrote:

> Have any of you read Manis and Little's  _The Schematics of Computation_?
>
> I heard it mentioned for the first time in this blog post:
>
> http://compsci.ca/blog/computer-science-at-waterloo-the-new-scheme-of-things/#comment-103479
>
> Where does it fit compared to SICP and HTDP?

I read it while in the process of proposing and designing our first-year
course that uses HtDP, somewhere in the 2002-2003 timeframe. Like
Concrete Abstractions by Hailperin et al, it is representative of an
"old-school" Scheme course (I found a number of these in the course of
my pedagogical research). It is somewhat more mainstream than SICP, but
that does not work to its advantage. I chose not to purchase a copy
(even at that point I think it was out of print, but used copies are
available).

Concrete Abstractions is now available on the Web, and Hailperin is
active on comp.lang.scheme, as you know, so if you want to look at
something of this sort, that would be easier. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.