[plt-scheme] The Schematics of Computation?

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 9 22:36:31 EDT 2008

How would you define "old-school?"

I actually read part of Concrete Abstractions, and
found the exercises in its Section 1.3: "An
Application: Quilting" to be extremely enjoyable to
try out.  They involved taking pre-defined procedures
defining four "basic block" image patterns to design
more complex patterns recursively.

Many introductory computer science books neglect the
graphical aspect, and being able actually to *see*
complex patterns formed recursively from simpler
patterns reminded me of the beautiful patterns of
fractals.  I feel that the aspect of beauty is very
important in appreciating a discipline, and that
graphically representing recursion adds a
much-neglected dimension to appreciating the beauty in
recursion.

Benjamin L. Russell

--- Prabhakar Ragde <plragde at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Like
> Concrete Abstractions by Hailperin et al, it is
> representative of an
> "old-school" Scheme course (I found a number of
> these in the course of
> my pedagogical research). It is somewhat more
> mainstream than SICP, but
> that does not work to its advantage. I chose not to
> purchase a copy
> (even at that point I think it was out of print, but
> used copies are
> available).
>
> Concrete Abstractions is now available on the Web,
> and Hailperin is
> active on comp.lang.scheme, as you know, so if you
> want to look at
> something of this sort, that would be easier. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.