[plt-scheme] The Schematics of Computation?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 9 11:25:22 EDT 2008

1. I was quite familiar with Schematics when I started designing
HtDP. It's still on my bookshelf. I uses a breadth-first approach,
which was popular back then. I do not at all consider it a 'relative'
of SICP, except for the *silly* claim on syntax that they share.

In case it is not clear what I mean with silly claim: Most Scheme
text books claim that Scheme's syntax is simple and that one can
therefore cover more/deeper/better stuff in a freshman course. Nobody
who makes such claims seems to have understood that the syntax isn't
simple enough and that you need a smooth growth path for students
from CS 1 to CS 2 if you want your knowledge to survive. And syntax
is an obstacle.

2. Some people dislike everything PLT for reasons I fail to
understand, and I am taking this blog post in just that vein.

3. If you care, read our design rationale for HtDP. It's available
from my Papers web site. I am urging everyone who thinks he has good
arguments against it to write them up. If they are rationale, I will
publish them in JFP.

-- Matthias

Some people emotionally di