[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 2 00:05:32 EDT 2007

On 5/1/07, YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance on why it is a grave mistake (I want to learn more) -
> state is a prevalent concept in the imperative world so I get what Grant is
> saying without looking precisely.  When you say it's a mistake, are you
> saying that from functional programming perspective, or are you saying that
> even in the imperative world the concept of state for flow control is
> incorrect?  As an aside I don't find much on state machines - perhaps it's
> because there are better abstractions to use?

If I interpret Matthias's message correctly, he was saying that his
research on continuations does not deal with state (even if it is
applicable to programs that happen to use state).  Therefore if he
used the term "state" in those publications, it would be incorrect and
misleading.  In other contexts, using and referring to state is fine.

--Carl

Posted on the users mailing list.