[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 1 19:03:53 EDT 2007

On 5/1/07, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> > If you have found the word state in conjunction with continuation in
> > one of our publications, please let us know. It would be a major and
> > grave mistake.

Hi Matthias -

Pardon my ignorance on why it is a grave mistake (I want to learn more) -
state is a prevalent concept in the imperative world so I get what Grant is
saying without looking precisely.  When you say it's a mistake, are you
saying that from functional programming perspective, or are you saying that
even in the imperative world the concept of state for flow control is
incorrect?  As an aside I don't find much on state machines - perhaps it's
because there are better abstractions to use?

And please do provide your view as a PL teacher - love it ;)

yinso