[plt-scheme] Versioning

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Mar 18 17:57:29 EDT 2007

On Mar 18, a_fasano at hotmail.com wrote:

> (Sorry I previously posted with an unregistered mail, causing you problems.)
>
> I am using the tool Filemon from Sysinternals to get the blocking process.
>
> There are  only 3 processes accessing iconv.dll:
> MzScheme.exe:2192
> MzScheme.exe:2408
> svchost.exe:2380
>
> The distinct PID should be because the MzScheme.exe is run twice
> (and in fact I get the error the second time).

Right -- the second time is when it's actually modifying the files.
But this happens from a temporary copy of mzscheme, which has all of
its required DLLs, so it shouldn't interfere with the modification.

> Using the tool Process Explorer from Sysinternals and based on the PID, I
> can see the command line starting the process is
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs".
>
> If I kill the svchost.exe:2380 the error is always there.

If you kill it, or unless you kill it?

> If this should be the case it will suffice to insert a delay in the
> second run as to let the system fully free the resource. I tried to
> increase sleep time in winvers.ss from to 10, but this proved no
> success.

That would be my idea too.

(You can also try something called "Process Explorer" -- it shows more
information about processes etc, so you can see which mzscheme process
is the parent or what that svchost process is actually doing.)