[plt-scheme] TypedScheme and the class.ss library

From: Henk Boom (lunarc.lists at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 19:08:34 EDT 2007

Hi list,

I have just started using scheme this past winter, and I am really
enjoying it. The one thing that always made me slightly uncomfortable,
though, is the dynamic typing. Imaging my glee in hearing about
TypedScheme, which looks exactly like what I want.

Besides coming from a statically-typed background, I also come from a
strong OOP background. For example, before learning Scheme, I spent
about 6 months programming in Eiffel (which mixed two of the things I
love, OOP and contracts (even properly inherited ones!)).

So I was looking into typed scheme, and it seems to support pretty
much all the primitives, but because you need to use a special
define-struct, it seems to me that the class.ss libraries would be
off-limits for static typing. Is there a way around this? Am I missing
something completely and does it actually just work? Would I have to
write my own object system using define-typed-struct?

Have a nice day,
    Henk Boom

P.S.: On a side note, I am somewhat interested in learning methods of
organizing systems other than OOP. Most of my programs involve
state-based worlds with objects interacting with each other, such as
video games or other fun graphical applications. Where should I go to
learn about alternate methods?

Posted on the users mailing list.