[plt-scheme] Re: Debugging servlets in DrScheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 10 14:41:53 EST 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Alexey Goldin wrote:

> Hmm, I had the same problem in V350.

Yes, I should have written "inclusive".

> Could you please point me what needs to what has to be  changed and
> fixed? I am not in a hurry, I have 2-3 months.

Jay M is working on the server, which is where the changes happened
that make servlets not work quite right.

> I'd like something like text adventure but on web because kids are
> having online friends all over the world (via devianart, myspace,
> etc ). I believe the web game might be attractive --- it is easy to
> show to others. If you need to install DrScheme to try it out, it is
> probably much less convenient for their friends to see.

Interesting idea. You would have to run the web server though.
And we would have to create something like "export servlet to
server" functionality for the eventual deployment on-line.

> I would like to be able to change code in editor, recompile and see
> behavior changed immediately without need to copy scripts to other
> directory, restarting webserver, etc. At least as easy as with
> Allegroserve.

That's exactly what servlet.ss and servlet2.ss accomplish.
And that's what I had in mind for my freshmen course.

Your idea makes sense and is superior to my own one-time
use with freshmen. They didn't get too interested in web
programming then.

A warning though: it won't look as nice as an AJAX game :-)

Jay?

-- Matthias