[plt-scheme] How far has anyone gotten toward writing a SOAP connector?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 6 11:47:41 EST 2006

> The good news is that in today's Web market, nobody gets to force rules
> on everyone else.

In most domains, this is true.  But there are some domains where choice is
restricted for the sake of getting people moving in the same direction.
Concretely, in the past, I was interested in helping with the BioMOBY
project:

     http://biomoby.org/

Their web service interface was already defined.  I did try to point out
XML-RPC, (and I was getting very tired about hearing about the wonders of
SOAP envelopes) but they had already decided on SOAP, and that was it.
In this case, that scientific organization was responsible for forcing
rules on everyone else, and rightfully so: there were more important
problems to tackle besides choosing a lightweight RPC mechanism.

I'm running into a similar situation now, where it's going to cost more to
argue to switch over to XML-RPC than it is to grimace and work with the
existing system.  Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that no one else had
been working on something like this, so that I'm not duplicating anyone
else's efforts.

Posted on the users mailing list.