[plt-scheme] How far has anyone gotten toward writing a SOAP connector?

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 6 09:26:46 EST 2006

> I agree with "usability", but I don't know about "survival".

While SOAP is clearly here to stay, there are lots and lots of WS-*
protocols, and any time there are that many protocols, the survival of
some is definitely questionable.

> >> Because .NET and Java and all commercial products deliver WSDL/SOAP.
> >
> >This is not a technical statement.
>
> No, neither meant to be.

You missed my point.  My point was that a claim like "all commercial
products deliver..." is silly.  Not all do, and therefore your claim
is pure hype, not one with a technical basis.

> I understand the technical point of view and that's also how I
> would like it to be, but technical arguments provide no stable basis
> for discussion about this subject in the given environment.

The good news is that in today's Web market, nobody gets to force
rules on everyone else.  I see a growing backlash against the
complexity of SOAP and WS-* in favor of REST and XML-RPC, and in favor
of JSON against XML.  I think these are good backlashes and would like
to do what I can to support their growth.  I think a lot of the SOAP
and WS-* world is a scam imposed on us by people with money to be made
by promoting needless (and error-prone) complexity.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.