[plt-scheme] Interactions of the REPL and the shell

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 6 14:14:14 EDT 2006

Well, in the case of nohup, you don't want a stdin, right? It seems like
an optional extra parameter or separate version of the `instaweb'
function that tells it run in "background mode" would be appropriate, i.e.:

(instaweb filename port ip background?)
     : string [integer] [(U string #f)] [boolean] -> void

- filename: The file name of the servlet
- port: The optional port to listen on, defaults to 80
- ip: The optional IP address to listen on, or #f (the default)
for all addresses
- background?: If true, run silently in background mode, otherwise allow
user input to control server (the default)

As a separate point, would it make sense (I don't know if it's possible)
to run the servlet with the `current-directory' parameter set to the
directory where the `instaweb' call came from, as opposed to the
directory where the file is silently copied to? On the one hand, it
would enable the common case of running a new little script that you
didn't feel like building the whole `default-web-root' directory
structure for. On the other hand, down the road when the user starts
filling out the directory and treating the copied location as the "real
servlet," it might get in the way. I guess an annoying side effect of
copying a file.

All of this makes me wonder about the web-server -- perhaps a better
solution would be for the web-server itself to allow a lighter-weight
mechanism for creating servlets, without having to construct big
directory structures.

Dave