[plt-scheme] Interactions of the REPL and the shell

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 08:07:25 EDT 2006

My thanks to everyone who answered this question.  I've
used a combination of techniques to get around this problem
in Instaweb 1.4, namely the -r flag, thread suspension I
just asked about, and checking for a current-input-port
that returns eof.

--- Dave Herman <dherman at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> All of this makes me wonder about the web-server --
> perhaps a better
> solution would be for the web-server itself to allow a
> lighter-weight
> mechanism for creating servlets, without having to
> construct big
> directory structures.

I hold this same belief.  There is a trade-off here.
People building small sites will probably want the web
server to be full featured.  People building big sites will
probably want to run the web server behind Apache, and only
want the web server for servlets.  I think the web server
should not implement any more 'web server' features, but
instead implement the JK protocol:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/

This would allow easy integration w/ Apache, the directory
structure would no longer have to be so rigid, and the web
server wouldn't have to implement things like HTTPS (I
don't think it does at the moment).  It should still
provide the existing file serving features for the small
projects, but the focus should be servlet support.

Of course it is easy to offer advice.  Implementation is a
different matter :)

N.

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/