[plt-scheme] Servlet2 and standalone.ss

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (shriram at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 16:13:18 EDT 2005

> How about a much smaller change that is much easier to do
> (specifically, avoiding maintenance of a textbook->language alist):
> when the current select-your-language dialog comes up, don't have any
> default chosen, and disable the Next button until something is
> clicked?

Oh god.  The *only* saving grace in this solution is they will never get
the thing running, so they can't submit a bug report saying "I can't
do anything with your stupid environment".

> (Except for maintenance of yet another alist, there is also a problem
> with people who provide their own language levels: they will have to
> either tell the students to use some book name that is close to what
> they use, or tell them to not choose any book and on the second screen
> choose some language, but then deal with people who will complain
> about no second screen because they just happened to click on
> something on the first etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.)

I think you mean "Apart from", not "Except for".  Virtually nobody provides
their own language levels.  If they are doing this, they're going to provide
instructions anyway (eg, what I do w/ PLAI).  They'll cope.  Believe me, if
they can define a whole language level, they can explain how install it.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.