[plt-scheme] Servlet2 and standalone.ss

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 13 16:29:51 EDT 2005

On Oct 13, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> > How about a much smaller change that is much easier to do
> > (specifically, avoiding maintenance of a textbook->language alist):
> > when the current select-your-language dialog comes up, don't have any
> > default chosen, and disable the Next button until something is
> > clicked?
>
> Oh god.  The *only* saving grace in this solution is they will never
> get the thing running, so they can't submit a bug report saying "I
> can't do anything with your stupid environment".

Huh?  The next reflex after the "Next Reflex" fails is to read the
question and deal with the selection.  Like these eula's that force
you to check the "I've read this text" box before you can go on.

> > (Except for maintenance of yet another alist, there is also a
> > problem with people who provide their own language levels: they
> > will have to either tell the students to use some book name that
> > is close to what they use, or tell them to not choose any book and
> > on the second screen choose some language, but then deal with
> > people who will complain about no second screen because they just
> > happened to click on something on the first etc etc etc etc etc
> > etc etc etc.)
>
> I think you mean "Apart from", not "Except for".

(answers.com says this about "Apart from":

  Idioms
  apart from
    Also, aside from. Besides, except for.

so yes, I meant "apart from", so I wrote "except for".)

> Virtually nobody provides their own language levels.

(But a big point is to make it possible for more to do it.)

> If they are doing this, they're going to provide instructions anyway
> (eg, what I do w/ PLAI).  They'll cope.  Believe me, if they can
> define a whole language level, they can explain how install it.

It's not *them* that I'm talking about, it's they're students who will
trip even more.

But you ignored the maintenance problem -- will you do it?  Will you
come up with a different name for each version of your book if it uses
a different language?