[plt-scheme] Re: electronic book - EOPL ?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 1 11:18:05 EDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 9:55 AM, David Van Horn wrote:

> Ivan l. Altaparmakov wrote:
>> Does any body has electronic versions of books for scheme/lisp (or
>> prolog or haskell) programming style? Such like "How to Design
>> Pograms" and "Structure and Interpretation of
>> Computer Programs".
>
> A long time ago I used wget with recursive retrieval to download the
> HTML of SICP, and then used Adobe Acrobat to convert it to PDF.  I
> tried
> the same trick on HTDP, but it didn't work well (some figures were too
> wide for the page width or something).  Since the authors of HTDP could
> easily provide PDFs and yet they don't, perhaps they don't want such a
> thing in circulation.

It's illegal because it violates MIT's copyright and its contract with
us.

> http://www.cs.uvm.edu/~dvanhorn/scheme/sicp.pdf

My hunch is that this is also true for SICP. Our editor used HtDP as an
experiment in simultaneous on-line publishing. SiCP and a few other
books were then modeled on this basis. Indeed, Dorai (my former PhD
student who wrote tex2page) personally converted SiCP to HTML. If you
look inside, you will see his "signature". We put it on the page itself
because we appreciate what he does for the community.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.