[plt-scheme] Question about scheme os for information appliances (phones)

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 5 10:50:25 EST 2002

I think TUNESs problem is pretty obvious: it's a lot easier to create
documents than code.  I have a feeling some people thought/think that
if a bazaar can create Linux, it can create TUNES.  Linux solved a
problem that urgently needed solving, so it had the benefit of being
the first mover.  (Or second, if you count Minix, and depending on
whether you think the first or second mover wins. <-;)  I see no
similar justification for TUNES.

It could be that you've hit on a good platform badly in need of
support.  But it seems pretty hard to beat Symbian -- it looks like
the (now shut) window of opportunity was for building the prototype
that Symbian would adopt as their starting point.  Besides, Be tried
to position themselves (and the BeOS infrastructure) there and lost,
despite having all technology in place, so the problem must have some
hidden difficulties.

Wow -- be.com is itself now up for sale.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.