[racket-dev] new release policy

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 05:55:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I parse your comments like this:
>
> - We can't do these sequence functions fast.
> - When we didn't provide them, people complained that they were missing.
> - When we provide them slowly, people will complain that Racket is slow.
> - It is worse to be slow than featureless.

I think this is incorrect. I read:

- When we provide APIs we lock ourselves into them
- The proposed sequence API is slow and can't be sped up without
significant effort (cf worldwide shortage of Matthew-Flatt-hours)
- We shouldn't lock ourselves into a slow API without considering
alternatives (cf performance of stream/lazy list abstraction)

N.

Posted on the dev mailing list.