[racket-dev] new release policy

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 21:45:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > One thing about stability that bugs me is pushing changes and
>> > extensions that are likely to change.  For example, I'm worried
>> > about Jay's push for a number of new features as a response to a
>> > blog post, it looks like coding in haste that is likely to change.
>>
>> This is something that the `unstable' collection can be useful for.
>
> +1, in general.

Since some of these features were already available in the unstable
collection, it's clear that useful functionality there is not visible
enough for beginners.

> On Aug 12, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>> At Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:28:34 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>> > One thing about stability that bugs me is pushing changes and
>> > extensions that are likely to change.  For example, I'm worried
>> > about Jay's push for a number of new features as a response to a
>> > blog post, it looks like coding in haste that is likely to change.
>>
>> I strongly support Jay's current push. We don't need to wait for a
>> new package system to get our data-structure libraries in better
>> shape.
>
> My point was completely unrelated to packaging.  (Jay added it to the
> core racket language anyway.)

Perhaps his point was that the "ideal" to handle these additions would
be a well publicized and easy to install package.

> [...]
>   directly in the for loop makes it 20x slower.  This is kind of ok
>   as things currently stand (pre Jay's afdditions), since most people
>   who deal with sequences are aware of the issue and propagate the
>   same cost tradeoff (providing both a syntactic and a value
>   variant).  Making sequence values be more list-like leads to
>   emphasizing this problem, and this can lead to problems that end up
>   in regretting something => overall reduced stability when there's
>   some new interface.  And specifically in this case, a 100x slowdown
>   is easily noticeable.
>
> For the first of these (related) problems, you can say that it's a
> performance problem that can be improved out later, with no interface
> changes.  The question is how much it can improve.  (One way to make
> it faster would be to provide macro versions of the whole set of
> sequence operations, and this ends up in double the amount of code.)
>
> Regardless, the second problem cannot be improved -- at least not
> without some major redesign.  But obviously this means that the
> problem is still there regardless of extensions -- and making sequence
> values easier to handle will eventually happen anyway.  The question
> is whether there is some other way to provide this functionality
> (list-like sequences) -- and in this case Mark talks explicitly about
> the Clojure feature that makes sequences very easy: lazy lists.  So,
> I've tried to get a rough idea of the costs for this simple example of
> a range, and I got:
>  cpu time: 1581 real time: 1581 gc time: 868
> This is still bad, but at the same neighborhood -- so maybe a better
> direction for making sequences nicer is to try making them (the value
> versions) into lazy lists?  It's true that this is close to the
> 100x-worse version of `seqn-rest', but if they're both close, then why
> not explore making the lazy list version run faster?
>
> But if I switch from `lazy' to plain thunks for the lazy list (which
> is probably more appropriate here anyway), I get
>  cpu time: 113 real time: 113 gc time: 19
> and this is even better than the current (in-range ...) -- and this is
> not even including tricks like Shriram mentioned of mixing laziness
> and strictness (eg, a range could have a delayed thunk at only every
> 10th cdr).  So this *does* look like a better way to get this done:
> speed up sequence values and make them easy to manage.  Why not try
> that or at least *talk* about trying that before adding a chunk of
> code that fights with the current windmills, making future
> improvements even harder to do?
>
> (And at this point I can see how people can think that such an
> improvement can be done regardless of the current extensions -- but my
> guess is that nobody will touch it, and things will stay as they are
> now.  For now.)
>
> (I'm obviously hoping that this guess will turn out wrong as a result
> of writing about it.  But probably not.  I'll shut up now.)

I parse your comments like this:

- We can't do these sequence functions fast.
- When we didn't provide them, people complained that they were missing.
- When we provide them slowly, people will complain that Racket is slow.
- It is worse to be slow than featureless.

I think it is worse to be featureless. Of the additions I made, I
believe that only seqn-cons, seqn-rest, seqn-tail, seqn-append,
seqn-map, seqn-filter, and seqn-add-between will have the speed
problem. The other functions that produce values will be a little
slower than their equivalents rewritten directly in 'for's, but
sometimes it is nice to write: (seqn-andmap even? s) rather than:
(for/and ([e s]) (even? e)).

I wager that seqn-cons, seqn-rest, and seqn-tail could be made very
faster if it were possible for a do-sequence to turn over control to
another sequence that had already started. seqn-append would be helped
a little.

I think it's worth it for them to be there despite the problems you've
mentioned. I don't think they're like fold-files (which I agree has a
bad interface); they mimic the time honored list API.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay