[racket] Python creep

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 11:49:57 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:49:32PM -0500, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:

> I see a huge differential between the high quality of Racket and the fact
> that its popularity is low. Then again, perhaps Racket is where Python was
> ten years ago, i.e., more than ready for prime-time, "batteries included,"
> far better than languages X (Perl), Y, and Z . . . but not yet widely
> accepted. Then Python began to make big strides.

I'm told that the inventor of python was inspired by Lisp nd Modula 3.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong!)  So I suppose pyython conld be
considered to ba part of the Lisp tradition.

> What's latest thinking on Racket To the World? Could a Racket-based on-line
> curriculum be set up a-la Udacity or OCW? Also, what's the story with MIT
> not using Scheme anymore in its intro class? I heard Cornell and Harvard
> use OCaml, of all things. . . .

What's so weird abot OCAml.  I find it a very effective language to use
for  lot of things.  Its only defienciency is a lack of immediate
metarecursion.  But it certainly counts as a member in good standing of
the functional language family.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.