[racket] Python creep

From: Jean-Paul.ROY at unice.fr (Jean-Paul.ROY at unice.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 26 08:45:34 EDT 2014

There has been an interesting MOOC on Scheme functional recursive programming from Univ. Pierre and Marie Curie (Paris-6), in France this year (in French) with automated correction of student programmed functions with tests. The author was Christian Queinnec, professor at Paris-6. There was a sandbox with a toplevel within a Javascript-coded Scheme interpreter, and solutions were sent in Paris and automatically corrected (completion of test coverage was also corrected). The final exam was on properties of the Syracuse sequence (linear recursion) and traversal of n-ary trees (tree recursion). Here is a fresh Queinnec’s report on the 2014 experience :
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSg9yXhOf3o
Here is a paper (in English) from Queinnec about FW4EX :
   http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/42/96/71/PDF/csedu10-final.pdf
and here is the MOOC main page :
   https://sites.google.com/site/programmationrecursive/
Click on the [bac-à-sable] which means "sandbox" to try MrScheme :

(define (foo x)
  (+ x 1))

(verifier foo                 ; this is check-expect...
          (foo 1) => 2
          (foo -1) => 2014)

Some SOOC (Simple not Massive) like that for Racket (with support for different language levels, images, animations, sound), where each trainer could add its own private classroom (server ?), documents, videos, and problems, with automatic corrections… Oh my, we may start to beat Python on the didactic side (they work quite a lot, see the very cool http://pythontutor.com)...

     -jpr

Posted on the users mailing list.