[racket] Python creep

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 10:27:24 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:49:57AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:49:32PM -0500, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
>
> > I see a huge differential between the high quality of Racket and the fact
> > that its popularity is low. Then again, perhaps Racket is where Python was
> > ten years ago, i.e., more than ready for prime-time, "batteries included,"
> > far better than languages X (Perl), Y, and Z . . . but not yet widely
> > accepted. Then Python began to make big strides.
>
> I'm told that the inventor of python was inspired by Lisp nd Modula 3.
> (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)  So I suppose pyython conld be
> considered to ba part of the Lisp tradition.

I stand corrected:

: Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:18:11 -0700
: From: Matthew Butterick <mb at mbtype.com>
: To: Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>

: http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/04/origins-of-pythons-functional-featur
+es.html

: "I [Guido van Rossum] have never considered Python to be heavily influenced by
: +functional languages, no matter what people say or think."

: FWIW

Thanks.  I now wonder what it was that I misremembered.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.