[racket] Install to standard Unix directories

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Nov 13 12:25:44 EST 2011

Hendrik Boom wrote at 11/13/2011 09:21 AM:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 02:12:30PM -0500, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>
>> Jay Riddle wrote at 11/12/2011 12:45 PM:
>>
>>> What is the option to get Racket to install to the standard unix
>>> directories?  I have compiled Racket 5.2 on a Ubuntu 11.10. I have
>>> done a quick test of DrRacket and it appears to be working.
>>>
>> Do you mean by using the "--prefix=/usr/local" or "--prefix=/usr"
>> option to "configure" before you compile?
>>
>> BTW, rather than use the standard Unix directories, I would use
>> "--prefix=/usr/local/racket-5.2", because I like to have multiple
>> versions of Racket installed at the same time.
>>
> Perhaps he means following the Linux file-system standard, with
> executables in one place, libraries in another, and so forth.
> Perhaps the answer is for him to look at the Debian source package for
> Racket (or PLT Scheme if you've got an older distro) and see how they do
> it.

That's what the "--prefix=/usr/local" or "--prefix=/usr" is for.  That
same mechanism (what "configure" uses for the "prefix") is how most
GNU/Linux software packages are configured to install in the standard
places nowadays.  A "configure" "prefix" of "/usr" results in pathnames
like "/usr/bin/racket".

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/