[plt-scheme] Application of PLT-Scheme (fwd)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 6 10:32:35 EDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Ivanyi Peter wrote:

>> (I know  AutoLisp is dynamically scoped, so this latter would be
>> challenging
>> for the border cases.)
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

When you implement an interpreter, you have complete control over the
whole subject program.

When you use syntax-case, you are using the API of the existing
compiler and the default here is dynamic scope. Unless your syntax
transformer implements a whole program transformation (technically
possible), it is difficult to get dynamic scope done 100% right. You
can approximate it with fluids, and perhaps this is enough. But it
isn't completely faithful.

;; ---

> No. At the moment it is easier to find an AutoLISP
> programmer than a
> Scheme programmer.

Sad but true :-)

As you may know, we also have a pretty complete implementation of
ACL2 (see planet), an applicative subset of Common Lisp. This one
uses lexical scoping only. So it's okay.

;; ---

Does AutoLISP come with a defmacro macro system and did you implement
it?

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.