[plt-scheme] Implementing web services

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 14:08:27 EDT 2007

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:
>
>> In a REST every URL (entry point / API call) is atomic -- it does one
>> thing and that action finishes as soon as the response is served
>

> It sounds like REST is an entirely functional concept, just like all
> batch programming.

Yes, it's an explicit goal that REST requests be idempotent, for
example, and violating this is considered bad.  So REST operations are
supposed to be referentially transparent.

> I doubt its investors understand this but one never knows.

When Tim Berners-Lee designed the original web protocols, he was aiming
for a system of "distributed hypermedia" documents.  The core of REST
was implicit in his design, though -- resources named by identifiers
(URIs), representations of which can be requested across a network.

In that context, "functional" was an obvious benefit: you wanted the
same identifer to produce the "same" resource (in some sense) every time
you requested it.  Hence, idempotent requests.

The author of the original paper about REST, Roy Fielding, with the
benefit of experience and hindsight (in 2000), characterized and defined
what worked and what didn't work well on the web, and why, and called it
REST (REpresentational State Transfer).  He was still talking in terms
of "distributed hypermedia", though.  It's not clear to me to what
extent he saw this as a basis for a loosely coupled application service
architecture, which is the context in which REST is most often discussed
these days.  It's mainly in the latter context that the functional
aspect of REST starts to become interesting.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.