[plt-scheme] switching between MzScheme versions

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Aug 15 20:35:50 EDT 2006

On Aug 16, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:17:49 +0200, "Jos Koot" wrote:
> > I frequently download the most recent version of the SVN
> > repository trunk.  In some cases it would be nice to switch
> > quickly from one version to another one, particularly in case a
> > newer version makes my programs produce other results.
>
> You can install any number of versions at the same time, whether
> they're normal releases or nightly builds --- as long as you don't
> install them to the same directory, obviously.
>
> The only collision is that the latest install is the one you get
> when you double-click ".scm" files.

Actually there's more -- there are several registry keys that are in
charge of binding file suffixes (.ss, .scm, .plt), and there are other
keys that contain information regarding how to uninstall.  But the
nightly builds are special in that they're put in a place that does
not conflict with a stable release installation.

The bottom line is that if you want to use nightly builds and a stable
release on the same machine, then everything should be fine.  If you
want several different stable releases, then install them in
chronological order, to different directories, and to uninstall any
version except for the last one, simply remove the directory.

Of course you will need to find some way to start them up -- either
different startup-menu entries, or hack some script.

> > However, it is clearly adviced not to install more than one
> > version of MzScheme at the same time.
>
> Sounds like we should fix the advice. Can you tell me what you see?

And where you see it?