[racket] typed racket, filters, and polymorphism

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 28 20:25:45 EDT 2014

Your message points out where gradual typing badly fails.

Type systems combine two nearly orthogonal ideas: (1) proving theorems about your program and (2) bridging the gap between abstract linguistic constructs and concrete machine implementations. In a sense, the design of a type system should always have the goal to eliminate as much run-time overhead as possible.

In this specific case, you have two aspects of dimensionality: dimension per se (I am sure there is a word for it) and the chosen unit to represent it. So if you know that a number denotes a distance, you can choose mm, m, and km to represent it. If you want to represent an area, you choose mm^2, m^2, km^2. Now if you want to compute the area of a rectangle, you write

 area-of-rectangle :  Real [Distance in m] * Real [Distance in m] -> Real [Area in m^2]

If someone writes (area-of-rectangle 1 [mm] 1 [km]), there is nothing wrong with it -- except that the type checker should insert a coercion from mm to m and from km to m (multiplying/dividing by 1,000). That is, a type system for this application ought to use the type elaboration process idea and translate code as it goes.

This is quite comparable to the idea that a machine-oriented type system needs to insert a coercion from integer to real (for example) as Algol 60 and its degraded successors do.

Our gradual type system lacks some (intensiona) expressive power, which is why you can't get close to this ideal.

-- Matthias