[racket] gnucash and racket

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Sep 6 23:38:29 EDT 2014

Hendrik Boom wrote at 09/06/2014 08:56 PM:
> I gather that the current gnucash developer(s) have decided that
> they would like to distance themselves from guile.  But it is still
> alive and well as its report generator.

I was using Guile back when GnuCash was being developed in it. Guile
seemed like a great choice for extension language for GnuCash, and still
could be.  (RMS was intending Guile to be the GNU extension/application
language for all apps, which I suspect would've been Emacs-times-100
awesome, for how people make and share software enhancements, but events
not Guile's fault ended that.)

Anyway, this evening, having just made my first GnuCash report, by
adapting "balsheet-eg"... I have to say that the eguile report scripts
aren't as pleasant to work with as they could be.  It's easy to imagine
someone thinking, ``This is scary and painful, and would be better in
Python.''  GnuCash *could* be made better to provide a better API in
Guile than is possible in Python, but is not currently.

I'm very fond of GnuCash overall, however.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.