[racket] limiting refresh rate of scroll bar calls to canvas%'s 'draw'

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Mar 21 14:16:14 EDT 2014

In my rsound package, I’ve enabled scroll bars for viewing sounds. Drawing a block takes a long time, though—about 60ms on my i7 mac.  That’s way too slow for interactive scrolling; a couple of hundred update messages will bog things down completely.

To fix this, I’d like to limit the rate of calls to “draw”. I can see a couple of possibilities:

1) Keep a timer, and only draw every so often. I implemented this, then realized that the canvas is erased before the call to draw, so I wind up with a blank screen most of the time, and it doesn’t get drawn eventually—it stays blank.

2) upstream, inherit from canvas% and add code to limit the rate of calls to draw. I haven’t looked at the code yet, but this might be my best bet.

3) one other thing occurs to me, though; it looks to me like calls to ‘draw’ are stacking up in an eventspace queue, and that seems like a mistake; if there’s a draw in progress, and calls to draw in the queue, it seems like another ‘draw’ should at a minimum squash the ones in the queue. Perhaps that’s painful to implement, or there’s a good reason for allowing all of the queued calls to complete?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

John

Posted on the users mailing list.