[racket] What controls when the DrRacket file extension popup dialog comes up?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 20 18:48:21 EDT 2014

TL;DR: I think that you can create the file with the filename you want and
then open the file in DrRacket instead of using the save menu item to
create the file.

DrRacket is making this call to put-file:

#lang racket/gui
(put-file
 "Select a file" #f #f #f
 "rkt"
 '()
 '(("Racket Sources" "*.rkt;*.scrbl;*.rktl;*.rktd;*.ss;*.scm") ("Any"
"*.*")))

and my read of the docs suggests that this call should allow .pmd, as long
as .pmd is an "extension that is recognized by the system".

In any case, as far as I can tell, you cannot work around this and still
use save to create the file, I'm sorry to say; it seems to require a change
either in the Racket source or possibly in Mac OS X itself.

Robby