[racket] How much memory does the web server need?

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 08:44:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Erich Rast <erich at snafu.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about switching my static web pages from traditional
> hosting to a virtual server running Ubuntu. Since I'm very familiar with
> racket and like it, it'd be only natural to use it (so I can make the
> pages more dynamic in the long run and perhaps even add a few web apps).
>
> Now I wonder: Does a virtual server with one core and 512MB RAM
> suffice for running the server?

Yes

> What's the minimum amount of RAM to
> which the web server's memory can be limited and still run "normally"?

The amount of memory required to boot is almost equal to booting
Racket itself. The big thing is that continuations will take up as
much space as you let them. The default configuration will only use
128M for continuations. If you use them sparingly (for instance, the
package server mainly uses dispatching, but log in and editing package
data, uses continuations) then that is more than enough.

> Should I go for 1024 MB instead (=4 Euros more per month)?

I would not. I ran the Continue conference manager on less than that
for a long time.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>