[racket] new S3 page "upload" link just creates blank package?

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 21 16:15:38 EDT 2013

On 10/18/2013 06:27 PM, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM, John Clements
> <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>> - Clicking the 'x' in the UR corner still seems like a very
>> counter-intuitive way to say "yes, I like my package, add it to the
>> catalog." Perhaps there could just be another button that says "OK"
>> at the bottom, that does the same thing?
>
> That's not the case. Clicking the "upload" button creates the package
> (as the name suggests, although perhaps "new package" would be a
> better name) and then each edit modifies the package you already made.
> You can stop at any time and the package is still  there. All the "x"
> does is close the editing window. It doesn't communicate with the
> catalog at all.
>
>> - If I create a new entry, click on the pencil next to the name,
>> type "abc", then click on the pencil next to the source, and type
>> "def", then hit return, the name evaporates.  I claim that the name
>> field should be preserved even if it loses focus. Or, that if it's
>> going to disappear, it should do so immediately when it loses
>> focus, and not when I click return in another box.
>
> The model I had in mind was "click name" -> "edit it" -> "hit enter"
> and then go on to the next thing. I guess I need to make it so "lose
> focus" is equivalent to "hit enter" for people who want to use their
> mouse like you and not save changes explicitly.

I just ran into a similar problem because I used Tab instead of Enter,
which left the field in some kind of limbo state. But "lose focus" also
happens when I switch to a different window to check the syntax of
github package sources one more time, which I would not want considered
as an update. Also, currently when I switch back to the package web
page, the cursor moves from wherever it was to the pencil button next to
the package name.

earlier in the thread:
>> 2) ... but maybe it's just squirreled away in a secret place, I
>> think.  So... how do I confirm that I've entered a new package?
>
> What makes you think it would fail?

The fact that nowhere does the website say "I have now created a new
package." It took me three tries to upload a package; apparently it did
fail the first couple times, but I had to reload the main page once or
twice to check. I only succeeded after remembering this thread and
re-reading it to learn that the Enter key was important.

This feels like a step backward in usability from a plain old form with
a submit button.

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.