[racket] Common Lisp or Racket?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 10:26:53 EST 2013

I had exactly that choice to make a few years ago. I chose Racket
(well, PLT Scheme at the time). I'm very happy I did.  At the time, my
reasons were:

- Racket seemed more consistently designed, CL felt more by-committee
(my impression)
- Racket seemed more pleasing to me esthetically. Including details
like `pred?` not `pred-p`.
- Single namespace (lisp1); contributes to the preceding, e.g no funcall #' jazz
- DrRacket IDE (at the time, simultaneously configuring and learning
emacs/slime felt like too much).
- Batteries-included libraries.

The last two helped me focus on more important things like, "where do
all these parentheses go?", and "how the heck am I supposed to loop
without mutation?", and so on. ;)

Those were my subjective impressions then. Without starting any flame
war I'd say they turned out to be largely accurate. Nothing is
perfect, but Racket has been a joy.

The more time I've spent with Racket, the more sense I can make out of
other lisps, so it turned out well overall.

Although there are some older deprecated parts, you probably won't
notice any "pork" as you put it.

If you get into certain corners of Racket like advanced macrology, you
may encounter a few things like
`splicing-expand-local-identifier-syntax-lifting-transformer`, but
that's an exaggerated example I completely made up :).

Seriously, Racket has turned out to be as clean, well-designed, and
fun to use as I first hoped.