[racket] CAM

From: Hugh Aguilar (hughaguilar96 at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 22:44:44 EST 2013

I'm writing a DSL for CAM --- (computer-aided-manufacturing), which primarily involves generating gcode for CNC machines (lathes, milling machines, 5-axis laser cutters, etc.). Do you guys know if anybody has done any CAM work in Racket, Scheme, Lisp, etc.? Perhaps one of these 30-day wonders from the PLTgames contest. :-) Actually, I'd be interested in hearing about any language used as a framework for CAM (I have no patience for point-and-click CAM software, but I'm only interested in DSL CAM systems).

I dropped Scheme and went with FASM instead. I'm still interested in Scheme/Racket, but I can't think of any practical use for it at this time.

I would be very dubious of using Racket to implement a DSL. Racket seems too complicated for most non-programmers to learn, and a DSL is supposedly for non-programmers to use (machinists are intelligent people, but there is a reason why they became machinists rather than programmers --- they just aren't interested in computer science). Also, most DSLs will need a custom data type, which implies that assembly-language is needed. What exactly does Racket or Scheme offer in regard to implementing a DSL? I admit that I don't know much about Racket or Scheme. These languages are supposed to be good for DSL implementation though, and I'm totally not getting why I would want to use them rather than good old assembly-language.

Message: 2