[racket] Packages not containing a licence

From: Lawrence Woodman (lwoodman at vlifesystems.com)
Date: Sat Aug 31 02:10:21 EDT 2013

Hello,

I have been trawling through the packages at:
     http://pkg.racket-lang.org

And have found that very few of the packages have any licensing information
and are effectively proprietary software, despite what their authors may
have
intended.  I can therefore study them, but not use them without breaking
copyright law.  For a hobbyist this is easy enough to overlook, but for
anyone
wanting to use Racket commercially this means that most of the packages are
unusable without contacting the authors and seeing what terms they are
prepared to license their code under.

This is a big enough pain for packages outside the main distribution,
but I have
also noticed that packages in the main distribution do not contain licence
information either.  A typical example is:
https://pkg.racket-lang.org/info/html-lib

In html/html.rkt, it contains:
     copyright by Paul Graunke June 2000 AD

But has no licensing info anywhere in the package.  This was presumably LGPL
code that was extracted to a package from the main racket repository.
Without
that licensing information it contravenes the terms of the LGPL and more
importantly, to me, means I can't use it as it hasn't been licensed for
use by anyone
through that package.

Thanks

Lorry

--
vLife Systems Ltd
Registered Office: The Meridian, 4 Copthall House, Station Square, Coventry, CV1 2FL