[racket] Using square parentheses for things that are not callable

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun Sep 9 23:08:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

Just listened to Rich Hickey's talk "Simple Made Easy":
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy

He mentioned implicitly a coding style where anything that is not
callable uses a square bracket. The let family is one example. I think
another one that fits are class constructors for example "class*
object% (parser-actions<%>)". The idea is to visually distinguish
between callables and not-callables, and that can ease use for new
readers.

While I agree that Racket syntax can be learned and mastered in a few
days, this distinction jumped out as curious to me because I hadn't
heard it stated like that before... but perhaps I missed something in
the discussion I know the round vs square thing is old news.

Best wishes,

Grant

--
http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/