[racket] translate from Racket to Common Lisp

From: Hugh Aguilar (hughaguilar96 at yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 4 19:38:25 EST 2012

Has anybody done any benchmarks comparing Racket, Gambit, Chicken, or any other Scheme, for speed?

It seems easier to go from Racket to Gambit or Chicken than from Racket to CL --- pretty much just a matter of using different libraries. It may even be possible to have code that compiles under different Scheme systems using a compiler-switch and wrappers around the comparable libraries to provide a common API.

I'm learning Scheme. I'm starting out with Gambit rather than Racket on the assumption that Gambit is the fastest and hence the one that I will end up using eventually, after I get past the learning stage and begin writing programs that people other than myself will use, at which time speed will be an issue. Also, Gambit has a 64-bit x86 assembler, which Racket lacks, and I primarily intend to use Scheme as an overgrown macro-assembler for compiler-writing.

P.S. I'm working my way through SICP --- is that generally considered to be the best way to learn Scheme? I wish there was some way that I could just flash-program my brain with Scheme, so I could skip all of this learning-curve and get on with writing programs. :-)