[racket] XREPL on Windows

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu May 10 01:54:52 EDT 2012

On May 6, 2012, at 10:55 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On November 12th 2011, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>>
>> (Yeah, but like I said I have no experience with trying to get
>> anything out of readline on windows.  (At least not outside of a
>> cygwin terminal.))
>
> Xrepl still just avoids using readline on windows -- and it seems that
> the situation in cygwin is now a little worse...  The thing is that it
> now ships with its own terminal application which Racket doesn't
> recognize as a terminal (in the sense of `terminal-port?').  But more
> than that, the dll is in a weird place and has a weird name: it's in
> "/bin/cygreadline7.dll".
>
> The thing that makes it worse is that this terminal implementation
> suffers from the common problem that plagued old terminals: the arrow
> keys send escape codes to the application, but when these escapes are
> printed the cursor moves to where you'd expect it to move.  (For
> example, run "cat" and then enter "foo<UP>bar<RET>" and see what
> happens...)
>
> So my conclusion, for now, is that I don't see any way to make it
> work, so I think that it's hopeless to get readline to work there.
> Given that this looks like a common problem, I hope that things will
> improve in a more transparent way.

Apologies in advance: I'm talking about something I know *almost* nothing about, but it appears that these days, "git" for windows ships with something that looks like a pretty complete "bash". Is this a viable alternative to cygwin, or are there a whole bunch of pieces that I don't know about?

Ob google: this stack overflow thread corroborates my opinion, I believe:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/783906/git-under-windows-msys-or-cygwin

John