[racket] newbie drracket usage questions

From: D Herring (dherring at tentpost.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 01:52:19 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 01:15 AM, Richard Cleis wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:53 PM, D Herring wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How would one accomplish the following in DrRacket?
>>
>> "apropos" (CL/shell) or "lookfor" (Matlab)
>> Given a search string, return a list of symbols with matching name or documentation.
>> I found that XRepl has the ,apropos command; but I haven't figured out an easy way to invoke it in DrRacket.
>
> Do you mean: do that within Racket, or from Racket?
>
> You can use the shell with (system "apropos ..."), but I don't know how useful that is for Racket docs.
>
> Within Racket you can use the F1 key to get to the docs that tell you where a function lives. That
> opens a web browser that allows you to type strings for more searching (locally and not).
>
> I fear I am telling you things that you already know. :O)

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, I had found the web
browser thingy (and had to enable javascript for it to work).  :)

I am looking for functions that search for racket functions and return
racket data structures that describe them.  The key pieces of
information is the name (so it can be used) and the source location
(so the implementation can be learned and possibly modified).

Thanks,
Daniel