[racket] Error installing whalesong

From: J G Cho (gcho at fundingmatters.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 17:42:14 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM, J G Cho <gcho at fundingmatters.com> wrote:
>> Following instruction per http://hashcollision.org/whalesong/, I tried to run
>>
>> #lang racket/base
>> (require (planet dyoo/whalesong:1:12/make-launcher)) in DrRacket. (v
>> 5.2 with unlimited memory flag, OSX Snow Leop with 1GB memorty)
>
> Whalesong appears to be tickling a bug in Typed Racket under Racket
> 5.2.  I apologize for this; I should have caught this when Racket 5.2
> came out.  I'll try to be better at tracking with Racket's subsequent
> releases and make sure this doesn't happen again.
>
> I just released Whalesong 1.13 to let it work cleanly with the
> upcoming 5.2.1.  If you grab a pre-release Racket and try it with
> Whalesong 1.13, do you see a similar error?

I will test it out when I do my next testing RKT on EC2. Sometime this
week, I am hoping.

>> BTW, what is the timeline on supporting #lang racket/base? Any plan on
>> #lang (for module)?
>
> I'm in the middle of dissertation writing, so unfortunately I won't be
> able to work on getting #lang racket/base working until I'm done with
> the darn thing... :)  But I'll be back to work on this during the
> summer.

Well. Isn't writing whalesong enough of proof? The committee should
just be satisfied with that.

> The #lang line does work, though with a restriction.  See the slightly
> ridiculous examples:
>
>    https://github.com/dyoo/whalesong/blob/master/examples/hello-bf.rkt
>    https://github.com/dyoo/whalesong/blob/master/examples/hello-kr.rkt
>
> The restriction is that a language's runtime bindings currently needs
> to bottom out to modules that are written in (planet
> dyoo/whalesong/lang/base) or a very small subset of '#%kernel.  You
> can still access full  Racket for the compile-time macros, though, as
> the hello-bf example demonstrates.

I will investigate it but maybe you can answer directly (or not, feel
bad to take up your time):

So what I am trying to use whalesong for is this. I have some
calculation routines to be called in client apps (Browser mainly but
could be UIWebView+iOS. This has been done in Flex/Flash but the
project is migrating away from it.)

I am thinking, write the code in rkt enjoying its syntax check, unit
testing, etc. Use whalesong to provide runtime.js+lib.js for various
clients that can use js. If not, serve it over HTTPS via PLT
WebServer. (I am thinking I don't have to do another re-write like
this for sometime.)

Is it feasible to structure modules/files in such a way that I can
accomplish this in the near future even though racket/base is not
supported for one reason or another?

Thank you for your time.

Posted on the users mailing list.