[racket] sad user face?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Feb 19 05:40:56 EST 2012

John Clements wrote at 02/18/2012 08:48 PM:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Luke Vilnis wrote:
>
>> To weigh in on this - when I was an undergrad, women routinely called themselves "freshmen."
>>
> I think this is becoming less common.

Even Brown U. and the few Seven Sisters that I checked seem to use
"freshmen" in current official communications.  (Not a lot of
"freshwomyn" in Google.)  I'm guessing that at least some of these
schools are sensitive to current thinking on feminism.  Perhaps they're
a bit ahead of the curve?

For more PC yet recognizable in the US, you could say "first-year" or
the catchy, one-syllable "frosh".

Around the world, I'm guessing that "first-year" is the most recognizable.

As for the issue J. Ian Johnson raised, of Chad, the hero of the Realm,
being male... that's a tricky problem, especially if he already appears
in a lot of illustrations, and you can't just text search&replace half
of the scenarios to have Charlene instead.  Half-joking solution, if you
do have lots of Chad illustrations: if you imply that Chad is gay, that
might let you keep the illustrations without alienating nearly as many
contemporary college women. (But then, oh dear, those shoes!)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/