[racket] wikipedia on IDE's

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Aug 31 00:20:21 EDT 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:55 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:22 AM, John Clements
> <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Eduardo Bellani wrote:
>>
>>> What holds me personally to emacs is paredit for now. DR is rocking these days,
>>> specially debugging wise.
>>
>> Really? We've got most of what paredit offers, including mapping raw left-paren to matched-pair (this option is currently called "automatic parentheses"). Glancing over the cheat-sheet, it looks like the only major change would be the fact that right-paren is not mapped to jump-outward; instead, I just use the right arrow for that (when there are intervening chars, I  use opt-up opt-right).
>>
>> Are there other things that paredit gives you?
>
> My main gripe with DrRacket's automatic parentheses is the removal.
> When, say, the left paren is removed, the right one remains. Paredit
> handled such things automatically. Also Paredit is aware of the
> context. If one insert a parenthesis inside a comment, it won't try to
> balance it. It uses the `parser state' information from emacs
> extensively to do its work, if I remember correct (I read the code
> long ago to see if I can implement something similar in DrRacket, but
> gave up).
>
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Parser-State.html>

Most of what you mention is, I agree, valid. One small point: in DrRacket, typing ( and then Cmd-Z (undo) does not remove the right paren. I regard this as a bug, and to be perfectly honest, I've been reluctant to report it because it's probably as easy as inserting a (begin-edit-sequence) (end-edit-sequence) pair somewhere.

John